Saturday, August 15, 2009

OH NO!
TOMATO
SETBACK

Remember that first Roma tomato I took off the vine to ripen indoors? It was very slow to turn completely red. Just as it was about ready to eat, spots appeared on it. Very disappointing. I don't know what the problem is. Unfortunately, I've never done this before. My last gardening experience was in grade school, when I planted watermelons, corn, and pumpkins in the backyard. All that came up was a watermelon vine. But no watermelon.

Now I've brought in a second Roma tomato, and I guess I'll have to eat it before it is fully ripe... I don't like bitter tomatoes; I want a red tomato. If I wanted a bitter tomato, I would go to the grocery store. They've said there are major problems with tomatoes in Maryland this year. But I think this may have been caused by what appeared to be two attempts to peck the tomato by a bird. There was a small puncture near the top.

So I'll try again, and report back the results of tomato #2.

Don't forget to visit the Robert Dyer Channel at www.RobertDyer.net for more exclusive footage of the Celebrate Damascus fireworks display.

No comments: