Thursday, July 22, 2010


"WE CAN'T GO
ON LIKE THIS"


Robert Dyer Delivers Message of Fiscal
Responsibility, Offers Detailed Solution to
Montgomery County's Structural Deficit at
JCRC Candidate Forum


Another www.RobertDyer.net Exclusive!!!


Thanks to all who turned out for the JCRC Montgomery County Council At-Large Candidate Forum last night. There was a good turnout at the Jewish Community Center on Montrose Road, and a good selection of substantive questions.


I think it went pretty well, even though the audience was clearly majority Democrat, which made my job much harder than the Democratic candidates'. But I welcome the challenge, and the opportunity to explain why voting for Robert Dyer will bring Change Beyond Belief to Montgomery County.


Eric Bernard, Executive Director of the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association was there in a non-political capacity, collecting signatures for the petition to allow voters to decide whether or not the county's dangerous Ambulance Fee takes effect.


Roger Berliner was in the back of the room at one point.


Great to see Republican activist - and future Central Committee member - Larry Lesser, in such a strongly Democratic room. My fellow At-Large Republican candidate Brandon Rippeon and I needed all the support we could get. There were several people who did have positive things to say after the debate ended, and I think the crowd appreciated any candidate who had honest things to say about the fiscal crisis we face in this county.


To that end, I was the only candidate to present a detailed budget plan, stating exactly where I would cut the budget now, not in January.


You never know what questions you'll get in a debate, but I was ready for all of the ones I got this time. I think that, based on what I've heard about the Germantown debate that was Democrat-only, the Democratic challengers were a little bit more on the offensive in this one. And understandably so, with the incumbents continuing to rack up endorsements from some of their biggest critics, which is kind of surprising. But not entirely. Hans Riemer seems to have moved into the lead, but there are many debates to go, especially on the Democratic side.


There's a lot going on at the JCC, more than you would expect. Even as this debate was happening, other activities were underway in the building. When I left after 9:30, there was a softball game going on under the lights on a baseball field behind the building.


I enjoyed meeting the people who came out. Now it's on to Clarksburg next week!


Here is an exclusive video of my opening statement at the debate:




If you like what you hear, please email the video to 10 of your friends who live in Montgomery County!

No comments: