Friday, July 31, 2009

THE MYSTERY
OF THE
DRUID THEATER

The Druid Theater in Damascus is one of the most intriguing landmarks in town. It ranks right up there with the water tower in my book. Only it's not a theater, it's a drugstore.

How did that happen?

I have found so many fascinating things, just by accident, around Damascus. As a history major, I naturally feel compelled to investigate.

The first time I walked down Main Street, I was struck by this large and very unique building. You literally cannot miss it. It very obviously, from the architecture, was a movie theater. But today, it is a Rite Aid. Still, prominent letters that spell "DRUID" continue to grace the front of the building. Since "Druid" has nothing to do with Rite Aid, that was a clue.

I found out that the Druid Theater was named after its owner, who lived in Damascus. The grand Druid Theater opened in 1947(!) and closed in 1990.

The biggest mystery to me is, how could a theater like this fail in Damascus? You would think it would have been a date spot for young people, as well as a place for families.

So I'm fascinated to find out if/why the Druid Theater failed financially. Was the selection of films so poor that people felt it was worth driving to theaters outside of town? Was the theater poorly maintained? Or...?

I am sure to get to the bottom of this, and will share it with you when I do so.

But right now, I will share with you a photo of this historic landmark at my website, www.RobertDyer.net. I think you'll agree it is a very impressive building. It's just too bad it's a drugstore now, because only the exterior is left.

So here is today's special Damascus landmark photo for your enjoyment.

No comments: