Saturday, May 26, 2007

According to Democrats in Annapolis, $11.30 is a "living wage." Ok, enough chuckling. I'm serious, and apparently so are Governor O'Malley, and his partners, Bronrott, Lee, Goldwater, and Frosh. They have rammed through a bill, now law, that mandates a wage of $11.30 for contract employees of the state in Montgomery County. If you've tried living on $11.30 in Montgomery County, you know that's not a living wage. $15.30 wouldn't be a living wage here. As with so many Orwellian doublespeak policies of these politicians, my response is "put your money where your mouth is." First of all, admit $11.30 is not a living wage. If I were in office, I'd say, give me a bill that calls $20.30 a living wage, and now you're talking. Don't mock poor people by calling $11.30 cents a living wage. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. As part two of "put your money where your mouth is" on the living wage, I challenge O'Malley, Bronrott, Lee, Goldwater, and Frosh - and O'Malley fan Hillary Clinton - to do just that. Let's make it law that the Governor, Delegates, State Senators, and U.S. Congress be paid only $11.30 per hour from now on. And they will have to cover all of their expenses, housing, and children's college education with that $11.30. I'll buy that for a dollar.

No comments: