Monday, December 31, 2012

NEW SPEED CAMERAS COMING TO DOWNTOWN BETHESDA (PHOTOS)

Workers in unmarked white vans appeared to be putting the finishing touches on several pole-mounted cameras in the median of Wisconsin Avenue near Montgomery Avenue.

A Bethesda real estate agent tells me that intersection, among many others along state highways in Bethesda, is scheduled to have new speed cameras installed now or in the future.

Other routes targeted include River Road.

Google Street View records show a different type of camera at the 355-Montgomery intersection than those now being installed.

My photos show the new cameras and one of the mystery vans working Sunday evening at the intersection.

We have to assume their camera-revenue department works faster than their sidewalk repair department.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speed cameras or red light cameras? Seems difficult to get up to speed at that busy intersection.

Robert Dyer said...

They seem awfully elaborate (multiple pole mounts) to just be red light cameras. But I'm not a traffic revenue industry expert; maybe our politicians have found yet another way to overspend on something.

Andre J. said...

I haven't seen these poles yet but if they are like the other poles I've seen going up a lot in MoCo recently they may be red light cameras. Specifically right turns without stopping cameras.

Robert Dyer said...

From what I'm hearing, you're right. I'm used to the old type of red light cameras. When there are multiple cameras, I think of speed cameras. I guess they'll eventually have a camera for every potential thing a person could be fined for! The sad thing is, these politicians keep getting reelected no matter what they pull over on the citizens.