Wednesday, June 28, 2006

MTA meeting, Bethesda, June 19, 2006. After work, I set out for an MTA meeting RE: the Inner Purple Line. Or Bi-County Transitway, as they call it. First of all, let me say that I strongly support building the Purple Line; it is the crown jewel in my transportation plan. But to get back to my story, it took me almost 40 minutes to get from River Road to BCC High School in downtown Bethesda! Absolutely ridiculous. Wisconsin Avenue was the worst. People literally walked from near Bradley up to the Air Rights building faster than I drove. And I was trying to beat a storm rapidly approaching. Too late. Lightning was striking all around downtown Bethesda as I entered the BCC parking lot. Then the parking lot started flooding. There was no way I was getting out in this! I moved up to a higher area to wait it out. I saw a WAMU car and thought maybe I could get on the radio to talk about my campaign. But the reporter came out and left during the storm.

Finally the lightning and rain stopped, and I went in. At the door to the cafeteria were dueling organizations, Action Committee For Transit (who favor the Purple Line), and Save The Trail, who oppose it. I entered the room and signed in. There were many impressive displays and experts to answer questions. There were also people from the country club faction in Chevy Chase who oppose the Purple Line. One older woman gestured wildly at the map, questioning who ever came up with such a crazy plan. "And it's going to cross Connecticut Avenue?! During rush hour?!"

Next: MTA meeting, part 2

No comments: