Sunday, April 19, 2009


Yesterday, I went to the Gas and Steam Engine Show at the Montgomery County Agricultural History Farm Park. Farmers and tractor collectors from Poolesville to Mount Airy, and from Damascus to Etchison, converged on the park to show their prized machines. The weather was beautiful, it was sunny and warm, and a great day to be outdoors on a farm. And tractors. And funnel cakes. Was this a great day, or what?


It's a long drive from the 270 exit, and you pass by the Road to Konterra (a.k.a. the ICC) site on the way there. They are working furiously on that there and on I-95. If you've been up that way recently, you know what I'm talking about.


Anyway, I went up the winding road into the park and followed the signs up a grassy hill where I parked. The first thing I saw was a small number of classic cars. To the left was the information booth where they had a map of all the displays. Suddenly there was a loud blast from a steam engine. Not a locomotive, but one that runs like a truck on wheels.


Beyond that was a set of stalls where you could buy funnel cakes and french fries. Every so often, some piece of equipment roars by and sends up a cloud of gravel dust. That is just life on the farm.


There were some vendors selling farm-related merchandise. But I came to see the tractors. Going down a dusty gravel road, the machines finally came into view. The first one on the end got my attention: a gray and red 1924 Fordson. The owner said he is in the process of restoring it.


Farmalls were well-represented. Lots of red ones. One that really stood out was the pink one. That's right, a pink tractor. A pink 1948 Farmall tractor, to be exact. You'd probably not be surprised to find out that this tractor belongs to a woman. I got pictures of this and many other tractors, so you'll be able to examine them for yourself.


There were also some of my personal favorite, John Deere. Of all sizes and types. Some of the tractors were operating while I was there, and I've got all of this on video. So if you weren't able to go to the Show, you'll still be able to enjoy all the best parts right on your computer/cell phone. Except the funnel cakes.


Just go to http://www.robertdyer.net/ and click on "Watch the Robert Dyer Channel." The first pictures will be here, and I'll direct you to others as I upload them.


While examining the tractors, occasionally a guy would blast by on some kind of motorbike. There were also hayrides going on. I got all of that on tape, too.
Across from the tractors was an engine-powered water pump that was on display, and operating. The ad for the show said something about "kiddie tractor pulls," which turned out to be a guy on some kind of tractor pulling kids along in little train cars. I don't remember very well. Mainly I was just trying to avoid getting run over.
So it was a great day on the farm. This is what America is all about. I hope you enjoy the photos and videos, and there are more to come.

No comments: