Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yesterday morning, I attended a continental breakfast hosted by the Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce.

It was an easier than usual trip on East West Highway. Until I tried to park at the AFI Silver Theatre, that is. As you know, there are a couple of county garages that are fairly convenient to the Downtown Silver Spring shopping and dining areas. But none are convenient to the Theatre. Maybe there's a secret garage where you pull up and give the attendant the secret handshake. I'm a Republican, so we don't get those kind of perks in Montgomery County.

Anyway, I tried to get to the garage near the Macaroni Grill, the fountain, etc. You know what I'm talking about. But some big truck and a bus forced me into the wrong lane on Colesville, and there was so much traffic, and no way to turn off safely, that I was carried out of town. Then I had to fight my way back into town in a traffic jam.

So just after 8, I finally got there. But, fortunately, it was just getting started. Fellow Republican At-Large candidate Brandon Rippeon was there, as well as Kurt Osuch (State Senate, Dist.18), Pat Fenati (State House, Dist.14), and some other Republican candidates who I had not met before. I saw former Rockville Mayor Susan Hoffmann (who is in charge of Downtown Silver Spring as a county employee), almost all of the incumbent councilmembers, the District 18 General Assembly delegation, and a couple of their Democratic challengers. The only one of the challengers I recognized was Vanessa Atterbeary, who is running for the House of Delegates.

It was great to talk to actual businesspeople and members of the Chamber, as opposed to a political PAC. Every businessperson said they are being hit hard by the council's outrageous Energy Tax increase. One representative from a major apartment management company said they are being devastated by the tax, because many of their apartments come with utilities included. So the company has to pick up the tab for every one of those units. And, of course, the council chose to do this just as the heat wave hit. What a disaster!

My main point was to push my detailed Fiscal Plan. We can't accomplish anything until we fix our structural deficit. Don't forget, you can watch a video and "PowerPoint" presentation about my fiscal plan here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyFD3XbOZs

And also don't forget to email the video to all of your friends in Montgomery County!

I also talked quite a bit about my economic development plan, which will make Montgomery County the new space industry capital of the world. It won't be as difficult as it sounds. My plan builds on our existing aerospace firms such as Lockheed, the end of NASA's human spaceflight program, the new need for defense firms to make up for the unwise proposed DOD cuts, and - most importantly - our proximity to Goddard Flight Center, multiple air bases and proving grounds, and the Wallops Island launch facility.

I don't know of any other part of the country that can boast all of those advantages.

The time to act on this visionary plan is now, and we can't rely on the same old failed leadership that has missed opportunities like this in the past.

That's why it's time to
ELECT ROBERT DYER!

Visit my website at http://www.robertdyer.net/ for more information and videos on the Robert Dyer Channel, accessible from the Main Menu on the home page!

No comments: