Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WHEATON
SECTOR PLAN

Exclusive www.RobertDyer.net Video!

One major issue coming before the next council will be the Wheaton Sector Plan. If elected, I will ensure that any "redevelopment" benefits the people who live there now. There is no need for a full-scale "redevelopment" of this vibrant, diverse downtown area. It would be much cheaper for the taxpayer if we would help keep the properties well-maintained, and address crime and transportation issues. The worst thing that could be done in these terrible economic times would be to allow developers to come in like a wrecking ball, and force out current residents and small businesses. Many are Asian-American and Latino-owned, among the variety of ethnic backgrounds represented. We've already lost some of the best restaurants and shops in Wheaton, thanks to our developer-beholden County Council.

Hear about my different approach in this video from an Asian-American candidate forum this past August:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJesoO4QFY

If you live, work or own a business in Wheaton, you have a clear choice in this election: Elect me, and I will represent your interests on the council when the Wheaton Sector Plan is voted on. In contrast, my opponents want to replace what's there now with a Disneyland of mixed-use towers. They aren't working for you; they're working on behalf of a hypothetical new, wealthy group of residents they believe will move to the "new" Wheaton after the "old" one has been replaced.

That's why it is critical that you get out and vote - early, or on November 2nd. Without Robert Dyer on the council, developers will run wild in Wheaton. They're even going to eliminate a park dedicated to our veterans!

It's outrageous.

I think we have a great community in Wheaton. I've spent quite a bit of time there during my lifetime in Montgomery County. I've patronized the businesses. I've walked, driven and taken Metrobus through Wheaton a million times. That's one of the problems you have, when candidates like Hans Riemer are new here, and don't know the history of the area. I do.

The challenges in Wheaton can be met without massive redevelopment. Those problems came from the failed leadership on our county council, such as the terrible tax and regulation regime they've created, and their failure to take the real problem of gang activity seriously for years.

I'm confident that we can help Wheaton reach its full potential, and retain diversity, without creating a climate where rents for apartments and business tenants force people to leave, and we end up with five new Starbucks and empty luxury condos in Wheaton Triangle. That's my opponents' plan.

I hope you'll consider voting for me instead, because I believe we can only move this county forward if we all move forward together.

No comments: