Thursday, January 17, 2013

WEST RIVER DELI HAS CLOSED IN BETHESDA (PHOTOS)

Well, I gave you the good Westwood Center II news first today.

And now, the bad news.

West River Deli, a tenant of the Westwood II for nearly 30 years, has closed.

I fear this sort of news is only going to become more-frequent in the Westbard area, as well as in downtown Bethesda, as both sector plans are due for developer-friendly overhauls this decade.

Growing up in the Westbard area, I do have some memories of the deli. I didn't usually eat there, as I tended to favor Roy Rogers, and Farrell's and Bowl America for hot dogs. West River Deli did have a good steak sandwich, with a special Korean-style twist, that was popular.

My main recollection was going there after school to play the Popeye arcade game right inside the front windows you see in the pictures below. What a classic game, and what a great service the owners provided to the community for 3 decades. Another sad moment in Bethesda history.

I do not have any firsthand information about the reason for the closure; it could even be that the owners simply were retiring after a successful career.

But I do know that Capital Properties previously - and Equity One now - owns almost all of the Westbard properties, and eagerly wants to redevelop them. Westwood Center II was a contemporary design, and still looks fresh today. It would be a hoggish waste to tear it down. 

I am waiting to hear what Equity One's plans are. Capital Properties took a very aggressive, very antagonistic approach. It will be interesting to see what overtures to the nearby communities the new landowner makes.

I know that the CP plan was to build something entirely out of character from the suburban, residential area I grew up in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New post office location perhaps?

Robert Dyer said...

This is one of the only 2 shopping centers in 20816 that have vacant space large enough for a post office. But the USPS has not acted on that with the urgency it purported to have last summer. And the local media is not holding them - nor the equally-responsible congressmen and Councilmembers - accountable.