Monday, December 23, 2013

HAMBURGER HAMLET CLOSED: THE END (PHOTOS)

I was a witness to a moment in Bethesda history Friday night. As many of you are now well aware, the legendary Hamburger Hamlet restaurant has now closed due to bankruptcy. The restaurant had been in the Georgetown Square shopping center since 1973.

It had been mentioned that Hamburger Hamlet would close sometime this past weekend, after the online auction of the restaurant's physical assets closed Friday. In the process of Christmas shopping, I happened to pass by Georgetown Square twice Friday evening. Around 9 PM, the restaurant appeared to be open, and the OPEN sign was lit. On my way back from Rockville to Bethesda, I passed by again, around 11:00 PM. For the first time in a year, the 24-7-365 OPEN sign was extinguished (the restaurant had been open 24 hours a day since HH partnered with Du-par's last December).

By Saturday, Hamburger Hamlet was officially closed forever, as you can see in these photos. Hopefully Georgetown Square can find an exciting new restaurant tenant for the space soon.
Signs in the front window read,
"CLOSED LOST LEASE"

The famous block letter
Hamburger Hamlet sign

The bar, with interior columns
still trimmed for Christmas

These retro doors have closed
for the last time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They weren't taking good care of their space but I looooooooved the food there. RIP Hamburger Hamlet (Du-par's Hamlet). 1973-2013 :(

Anonymous said...

The food quality had really slipped over the years. I had been going in for over 20 years now. I wonder if I kept returning out of habit, nostalgia or pity. Time to start my letter writing campaign to Clyde's and Houston's.