Friday, December 15, 2023

Montgomery County Liquor & Wine cleared out at Westwood Shopping Center in Bethesda


The Montgomery County government-owned Liquor & Wine store at 5432 Westbard Avenue at the Westwood Shopping Center has closed. Its space has been cleared out, except for shelving left behind. The store will reopen in the adjacent Westbard Square development in early 2024 as one of the County's Oak Barrel & Vine liquor store concepts. Longtime residents will recall this space in the shopping center was previously home to a decent-sized hardware store, an amenity lost to the neighborhood. 






5 comments:

Momo said...

I spent a lot of $$ in that place.

Anonymous said...

Recently, I bought two items at 15% discount. I returned five minutes later, from the parking lot, and asked if I could do an even exchange for one of the items. The recalcitrant manager stated that all sales were final. That was my final visit to that store as well.

Anonymous said...

Where else in the world would a state-run liquor store shut down ten days before Christmas, the holiday that sees some of the highest liquor sales of the year? Only in Montgomery County, Maryland, where you can't make this stuff up.

Anonymous said...

Gubmint run bidness don't worry about profits or consumer happiness. Bring on more gubmint run everything!

Anonymous said...

@6:33 - The developer is the one who set the deadlines for moving out. I had talked to staff at the adjacent businesses and they all said the same thing. I’m sure the County LCB would not have wanted to lose Xmas sales if they had a choice. BTW, I worked at the hardware store(s) in my high school years. Peoples Hardware, then McIntire Hardware.