A trash compactor fire sent heavy smoke throughout the 8200 apartment tower at 8200 Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda late this afternoon. Firefighters responded and were able to get the blaze in the basement compactor under control in short order. However, smoke that traveled as far as the high-rise's upper floors via the trash chutes was taking longer to disperse, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer said.
There were no injuries. As expected, the fire equipment response necessary for a high-rise did affect traffic. Wisconsin was temporarily closed at Battery Lane.