Saturday, October 15, 2022

Bethesda Metro Center escalator-to-staircase conversion update (Photos)


The new staircase connecting the plaza level with the bus bays at the Bethesda Metro Center is finally starting to take its finished form. WMATA removed an escalator connecting the two levels earlier this year. Without a canopy to protect the escalator from weather, it broke down often. The target date for completion of this project is December 31, but it looks like they may finish ahead of schedule.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any bets on whether they bother to remove the weeds from the adjacent sloping concrete area, only about 1 foot from the new stairs?

Anonymous said...

It's unclear from the photo, and I don't know if any are already there from before the renovations, but it might be a good idea to add some type of blocking rods or bars to the new, expanded, slope next to the stairs, which has got to look really inviting to skateboarders.

Anonymous said...

Stairs replace escalator? As a 75 year old man with mobility issues, I say Thanks MoCo!

Anonymous said...

MoCo doesn't have anything to do with WMATA's decisions. The state of Maryland barely does.

Anonymous said...

Anyone with actual mobility issues will obviously take the station's elevators.

Bert868 said...

Have you taken the elevators. They really need to improve them. I hate them,

shanel said...

I walk in off of the Circulator stop so no problem for me yet. I can walk up a few steps. Otherwise, I'd be asking Robert are they advertising where folks that struggle with steps are supposed to go to get on? Don't take without giving.

shanel said...

@ Bert, I'm with you. Don't take without giving. Please improve the elevators. I could use JAC's argument and say that only 10 folks a day use them at most so why waste the money. I could, but I can't do it while living in Bethesda.