Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Good Ducking Burger "coming soon" to Bethesda (Photos)


Duck Duck Goose has been closed in recent days at 7929 Norfolk Avenue in downtown Bethesda. But award-winning chef and owner Ashish Alfred isn't giving up on the space, just changing concepts. "Coming soon" window screens have been posted there today, promising the imminent arrival of Good Ducking Burger. You might say, "Not another burger place!" But Good Ducking Burger is not going to be the typical burger joint.


The signage characterizes Good Ducking Burger as the place "where classic smash burgers meet a tantalizing infusion of Indian street food flavors." This sounds like it could be the hamburger equivalent of the wonderful M&N's Pizza on Del Ray Avenue, which serves pizzas with Indian and Asian flavors.


According to Uber Eats, the most popular item at Good Ducking Burger in Baltimore is the Bollywood Fries with green curry and tamarind chutney. Second most-popular is the Delhi Hot Fried Chicken. And let's not forget the burgers -  - third most-popular is the Basic Ducking Burger. Also on the menu: Spicy Cheeto Fries, a Truffle Butter Burger, the Walks Like A Duck Burger with pulled duck confit and "BBQ duck jus," and the Pato Del Sur Burger with fried plantains, Russian dressing, and a sunny-side-up egg.


For those still seeking their favorite Duck Duck Goose dishes, the Dupont Circle location is a Red Line train ride away. But for this location, burger travels to far more distant international destinations are now ahead.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cuss like a sailor, and actually was one, but call me a prude when I say that "Ducking" in this context, like a few others lately, to kinda pseudo cuss in advertising, naming, marketing, etc. Is in poor taste. It just rubs me the wrong way. Either say it, or don't. And if you can't don't try to subtly cram it down our throats.

Anonymous said...

Well done, 11:18. Seriously.

Cinco de Mayo said...

I have no problem with the occasional F-bomb, but I agree the name is at best coy and at worst in bad taste. Reminds me of Cluck-U Chicken, which I've never tried.

hn said...

When I was in college 20 years ago, there was a place called "Cluck U Wings"...I don't see any issue with the name. But I'm not sure on the concept. Why not a GastroPub of which I don't believe there are any in downtown Bethesda.

Anonymous said...

Why not a Gastropub, of which I don't think there are any in Downtown Bethesda. It would be a hit. Just like Salt Line late night on Bethesda Row is proving to be a hit. I understand the ownership group had some concerns about the late night (11:30 weekdays, 12:30 weekends) concept but have been pleasantly surprised as it's packed and needing even high-top table reservations those hours. There's a market for non-family / non-business crowd late-night non-divey options, so I'm not surprised at all.

Anonymous said...

I'm four-square with you on that, @11:18. I was never a sailor or longshoreman, but I can give those crews a run for their money when it comes to vibrant, vivid --sustained!-- flourishes of invective. Despite that talent, marketing that plays on "Oh my, how edgy," almost-profanities strikes me as singularly juvenile. Curse words have a distinct place in the language, but using them --or words intentionally deployed to be suggestive of such-- for marketing/advertising both coarsens the general discourse while simultaneously devaluing the potency of the bad words themselves. When you can walk down the street and see a giant awning emblazoned with an *almost* dirty word, you will be a little less hesitant to include the *real* word in your regular, casual conversation; a little more inured if you hear the *actual* bad word when it's used. That robs the term of its potency.

I'm old and cranky, and that's my two cents.

Anonymous said...

This coy "cursing" reminds me, in a way, of the "Cheers" episode where Cliff finally goes to Norm's favorite restaurant, The Hungry Heifer.
Once back at Cheers, he says the meal was surprisingly cheap, but the menu misspelled the beef he'd had, as "bef."
Norm says, "No, that menu is correct. You didn't think you were getting actual beef for that price, did you? You should try their loobster."

Anonymous said...

Well said, could not agree more.

Cinco de Mayo said...

A good name for a duck restaurant would be Quack House.