Saturday, September 22, 2018

Taylor Gourmet to close all locations after Sunday

Taylor Gourmet, the D.C.-area hoagie chain whose locations include Bethesda Row, downtown Silver Spring, and Pike & Rose, will close all of its restaurants at the close of business on Sunday, according to Washingtonian magazine. Among the reasons cited for the closure were financial troubles with landlords at some of their locations, expanding too rapidly, and a brief downturn in sales after owner Casey Patten participated in a 2017 business roundtable with President Donald Trump, who is unpopular in all of the cities where Taylor Gourmet operates.

The chain has not publicly commented on the closure report on its social media accounts as of press time. Taylor Gourmet had recently experimented with new menu items such as burgers, tacos and fried chicken sandwiches.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you haven’t blamed Hans for these closures.

Anonymous said...

I like their food but never ate there because I'm not on an endless budget. Price was too high.

Anonymous said...

Hey 6:38AM How the hell can you like what you never had/ What a broke-ass comment. I guess you like sex too!!!

Anonymous said...

@ 6:38 AM edited for clarity, by Suburban News Network's greatly underappreciated volunteer editor:

"I liked their food, but I rarely ate there because I'm not on an unlimited budget. Their prices were too high.

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like the founder was floundering. http://dcist.com/2018/07/taylor_gourmet_dcra.php

Anonymous said...

Saith Dyer: "a brief downturn in sales after owner Casey Patten participated in a 2017 business roundtable with President Donald Trump"

Saith Washingtonian: "Three people familiar with the company say sales began to decline after owner Patten met with President Donald Trump at a small business roundtable at the White House in January 2017...'Our sales dropped 40 percent the next day,' says one source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. 'And it persisted and never really got any better.'"

Dyer can't even get copypasta correct.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to this!

Anonymous said...

TG had a great product and I’m genuinely shocked. But then again I stopped going due to the frustration of them leaving off the vinegar when I ordered mayo & vinegar but no oil.

Anonymous said...

Good reporting, Robert. I feel sad for the owner who showed incredible naivety when he embraced Donald Trump. One rule of business is to stay out of politics, because you inevitably lose 50% of your business when you choose a side.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree that you lose 50% of your business when you choose sides. These people have to know their clientele from basic marketing practices. Far fewer than 50% of Taylor's clientele were Trump supporters.

For me, it wasn't showing up at the White House. It was endorsing an idiotic approach to cutting regulations. I never ate there again.